In episode three, I spoke to one of the founders of Radish Lab, Alana. This week, I am delighted to be speaking with her partner, Edward. Edward started in the interactive and web development world as a teen in the '90s and built a career doing the work he loved. Despite that, he came to the realization that he couldn’t stand behind all the products and companies he was working for. Then he and his colleague Alana met working for a nonprofit on climate change and his dream of forming an agency morphed into an agency that also created positive impact. In this episode, Edward shares how he was able to move from dreaming about to actually founding an agency, the reality of running a profitable and values-driven agency in today’s world, how to look after a team, survive as a business and still have a positive impact on the world. Great pearls of wisdom for anyone in the early stages of starting an agency or who simply wants to take on more value-aligned clients.
Edward is a skilled interactive storyteller and digital technologist, revered for his all-around problem solving abilities. Combining a rich understanding of creative design and standards-based development, Edward creates immersive and interactive digital experiences. With over 15 years of experience, he’s an expert in user interfaces, understanding user experience, creating rich web experiences, HTML5 based animation, email marketing and agile based development.
In Radish Lab he saw an opportunity to create a better world for his own children by working to solve the toughest challenges facing the next generation.
"The people who actually could use your work the most are often not what our industry focuses on.” — @edwerd #makeadifference #impact
Tune in to find out:
- How Edward started his career in web development
- Creating an agency for the greater good versus profitability
- How to stay true to your values and survive as an agency
- Radish Lab's strong pitch and proposal process
- How to win the projects you want for your agency
- The biggest challenges for Edward and the agency right now
- Measuring the impact of your work as an agency
- The benefits of B-Corp certification
- How Edward approaches looking after an agency team
- Advice for anyone starting an agency for the greater good
"You need to be ready for the journey before you start it.” — @edwerd