Values-driven agency Matter Unlimited, or Matter for short, has a mission to amplify the power of brands and organizations to drive growth and positive change in the world simultaneously. Under founder Rob Holzer’s leadership, Matter has created powerful campaigns for client partners including Facebook, HP, UNICEF, ABC/Disney, NBC Universal, Kimpton and TED. But Rob’s passion and vision for sustainable impact also extends beyond the office. He is also a founding member of The Civic Nation Creative Alliance and serves as an industry expert for the United Nations Media for Social Impact Summit, PopTech, and Social Innovation Summit. In this episode, we discuss the challenges of being an industry trailblazer and the unwavering importance of sticking to your guns. We learn more about the internal processes that take place at Matter, the projects that they do and why all companies need to get their values in check in order to secure their future.
Over the past 20 years, Rob has been on the front line of innovation in advertising, digital marketing, and branding. His groundbreaking work for GE's "Ecomagination" campaign and Obama's HopeActChange.com site created a new barometer for success in the industry and set the stage for a new form of strategic partnership between agency and client.
Prior to creating Matter, Rob was founder and CEO of Syrup which he created in 1998. In 2007, he successfully navigated Syrup through their acquisition by LBi (now part of Publicis). Rob's client roster includes The White House, TED, Clinton Global Initiative, PUMA, GE, Abbott, Calvin Klein, NewsCorp, MTV/Viacom, Gucci Group, Christian Dior, L'Oréal, Speedo, Google, and AOL among others.
Rob serves as an industry expert for Hyper Island, the Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB), Sustainable Brands Conference, AIGA, The Art Director's Club, The One Club, NYU, and the League of Advertisers, and is often asked to appear as guest speaker on digital strategy and integrated advertising. He is a certified Shared Value Initiative Affiliate and is a mentor for Brazil-based technology accelerator 21212. Rob volunteers as a mentor for global entrepreneurial non-profit organization Endeavor.org and is the board chair for the non-profit Lineage Project.
“When you successfully sell a business for some crazy reason people think you're smart.” — @robmatters #agencylife #foundertalk #podcast
Tune in to find out:
- Why Rob decided to sell his existing digital agency
- What motivated Rob to start Matter Unlimited
- The importance of sticking to your guns as a new agency (even when it’s hard)
- The challenges of being an industry trailblazer
- How Matter took on the Merck For Mothers project
- Learn more about the internal organization of the Matter agency
- Why Rob emphasizes internal collaboration across the disciplines
- How to marry the creative layer with the strategic layer for every project
- Discover how Matter chooses their clients and projects to work with
- How Rob keeps on top of the Matter mission and its values
- The meta-mission at Matter and why you need to walk the walk
- Why value alignment is no longer an option but a necessity
- What is the future of digital agencies?
"Ultimately you’ve got to believe in what you do and you've got to stand up for what you do, that's it.” — @robmatters #purpose #values #agency