Matt Collins is the managing director of Platypus Digital, a London based digital marketing agency that helps great charities do great digital. Matt founded Platypus after working in the charity sector and then freelancing for charities. This episode is one of the most perfect examples of the power of agency specialization with a solid set of personal values. Matt describes the amazing benefits this brings for both his agency and his clients and he also does us the honour of not hiding the challenges. We dive into what it means to work in the charity sector and why Matt believes that a shared value is integral to serving your clients.
With over 10 years experience as a digital marketer and communications manager, Matt founded Platypus Digital in 2014. The agency has since worked with charities like Battersea Dogs and Cats Home, Sightsavers, Relate, Mencap, Teenage Cancer Trust.
He's appeared on Sky News, CNN and Channel 5 and writes for the Guardian on the latest trends and campaigns in the charity digital world.
In 2013 CharityComms named Matt 'Inspiring Communicator' and in 2015 Fundraising Magazine listed him as one of the top 50 Most Influential Fundraisers.
Through Platypus Digital, Matt runs meetups for digital charity professionals, like the Google Grants Manager meetup. He also co-founded the awards for the best charity CEOs on social media, and regularly speaks at sector events like NFP Tweetup, Media Trust and CharityComms conferences.
"I always knew I wanted to build something worthwhile, something that's going to make a bit of an #impact in the sector and really change the way #charities use #digital to reach new people.” — @charitychap
Tune in to find out:
- Find out more about the origins and Matt’s motivations for founding Platypus Digital
- How Matt used networking to get his personal brand known in the industry
- The importance of having an understanding of the Charity sector
- Networking on the basis of having a shared value
- Differences in challenges between working with corporate and charity organizations
- The mix of ways that Matt and his team come into contact with charity clients
- Matt’s experience and challenges recruiting people for the Platypus team
- The importance of asking your clients for feedback in order to grow
- How to train your team to continuously provide great service
- Why it is crucial for Matt to hire genuinely nice people for his company
“It turns out that just having that focus on one industry and really getting that industry, talking their language is a really valuable and unvalued quality that we have.” — @charitychap #agency #specialization